Sunday, April 26, 2009

I Want To Be 5 Again




My editor (the cap’n) says I’m way past my deadline. I keep reminding him I don’t get paid for writing this blog and he’s not my editor.

I’ve had the privilege of spending the last week with my 5 year old grandson, Landon. Poor Landon, he doesn’t have one of those grandmas that packs him up to Disney World. Nope, she drags him to Great Bend, Kansas to keep her company while the cap’n works. Not exactly the inspiration for a kid’s dream vacation.

But you know what? He doesn’t seem to mind. Life is fun for him wherever he is. I’m envious. I want to be 5 again.

I want to:

Turn on cartoons when I wake-up and laugh first thing in the morning.

Have my biggest decision of the day be whether I have Captain Crunch or Frosted Flakes for breakfast.

Think that Kraft Mac-and-Cheese is way better than any gourmet meal without worrying about what it’s doing to my arteries or waistline.

Spend hours performing magnificently goofy jumps into a swimming pool without worrying about what anyone watching might think.

Spend hours running back and forth kicking a soccer ball without getting winded or having my knees hurt.

Run away shrieking and screaming when the lion roars at the zoo.

Make a flag out of a stick and be my own parade marching down the street.

Love rain because that’s where mud comes from.

Consider everyone I meet a potential friend.

Read “Curious George” at bedtime and laugh last thing at night.

Dream dreams that make me smile while I’m sleeping.

I want to be 5 again!

My editor said this wasn’t funny, so I stuck my tongue out at him!

2 comments:

Kasia said...

I actually like this post very much. Good job Mary!!!

FirstMateMary said...

Thank you, Kasia Dear!