Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Potluck 2: Stromboli Recipe

Stromboli Recipe

Stromboli
This is so easy but looks great and is always a hit at potlucks. Plus you can make it ahead and heat it up and it's finger food so it's easy to eat during passages. For my dough I usually use my own sourdough bread recipe but I don't have the recipe here, since trying to bake bread at 10,600 is usually disastrous. I will post the sourdough recipe next week when I'm back on "da boat". I brought this to the big potluck that Grabbers(on Great Guana Cay, Abacos, Bahamas) has every Wednesday and Jimmy the manager ordered 100 for the next day. Of course I didn't deliver, I was too hungover.

Stromboli

1 Pillsbury French Loaf or home-made bread dough

2.Whatever fillings you want or whatever you have on "da boat". It's a great way to get rid of veggies that are going south faster than you are.

Instructions:

Find the seam in the Pillsbury French Loaf and unroll dough (this is easier to do if the dough is well chilled) or roll bread dough to a 11"x13" rectangle. Do not roll dough too thin.

Then just layer desired ingredients. Your are going to flip this over so make sure that the ingredients you want at the top, like cheese, should be the first layer. Place ingredients in the middle of the dough with enough dough on edges to fold over ingredients. Don't over stuff. Fold over sides and ends and flip the stromboli over. Brush top with olive oil or butter and sprinkle with grated Parmesan, maybe some rosemary...it's all up to you. Cut ventilation slits in top of stromboli and bake at 350F until crust is brown and cheese is bubbling through slits. Slice and serve Here are some examples with ingredients in the order I layer them:

Italian Stromboli
Cheese (Parmesan, Cheddar, Mozarella)
Vegetables (Mushroom, Onion, Green Pepper, Olives)
Meat (Pepperoni, cooked ground beef or italian sausage or both in your favorite sauce)

Chicken Alfredo

Cheese(Mozzarella, Parmesan)
Vegetables (Broccoli or Asparagus),
Meat (Chicken or Shrimp in Alfredo Sauce)

The possibilities are endless, Mexican, Vegetarian....

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for something to make ahead for those passages during which I may not want to be working in the galley...this sounds perfect!

FirstMateMary said...

Hi Jill,
Where are you guys now, No don't be afraid we're going to send you something else to bring over for us. Tying up loose ends here and the house is a disaster. Can't wait to see you.

Emily said...

Mmmm, this sounds yummy! Do post your sourdough bread recipe when you can. I'd love to try this. Thanks!

FirstMateMary said...

Welcome aboard Emily!
I do want to add that in my oven, the cooking time usually takes over an hour so you may want to fix this early and then reheat it. Of course, my oven has a dial with 1-9 on it instead of F degrees. Somedays "8" will be 350 and some days it will be the temp of molten lava. So I sit with a flashlight and watch my little oven thermometer that I hang inside continually tweaking the dial.

Emily said...

Thanks for the tip, Mary! We haven't actually ever *used* the oven on our boat (only the burners and a small microwave), because we're not cruising yet, but I'll hang on to your recipe for when the time comes!

FirstMateMary said...

I found that I cooked a lot more on the boat. More time and fast food wasn't so convenient. I love my own cooking but sometimes I really crave the fast food. I remember almost missing a plane one time when flying back from the boat because I just had to have a Taco Bell taco. Mexican food is sorely missed in the Bahamas. I think I'll start inviting everybody in the harbour over for Taco Tuesdays on the boat.

Emily said...

Yes, I'm sure I'll cook more when we're actually cruising. Right now when I'm down at the marina for a long weekend, we take food we've made in advance and just heat it up. We aren't much for fast food but do love making (and especially eating!) our own Mexican. My husband does most of the cooking these days since he's retired, and I'm still working. :-(

FirstMateMary said...

Emily,
Where are you located? I'm lucky to have a cooking capn, too. When I used to keep a log I would always include recipes for memorable meals. Mainly because, depending on our wine or Jack Daniels levels, we could never replicate them later.

FirstMateMary said...

Duh, I should have just looked at your profile. I pulled out my atlas but can't find Efland. Are you trying to pull one over on the dumb blonde or is that sailor code for F'ing land. Paisley is cute our poor old, Stanley, the killer bichon is completely blind now but we're still dragging him to the boat. We got him the same year we got the boat, 12 yrs ago.

Emily said...

Nope, Efland is a real town. Many people misspell it Elfland. It's a tiny little town so not on many maps! It's somewhere between Hillsborough and Mebane in the central part of NC, though our boat is off the Neuse River down at the coast.

FirstMateMary said...

Despite the capn's reluctance we did the ICW several times and we used to keep our boat at Bennett Brothers in Wilmington. What marina are you at?

Emily said...

I'd rather not say here on the internet for all the world to see, but we are in the Oriental area.

FirstMateMary said...

Sure I understand. We have some boat friends in the Oriental area that are building new homes there and I believe they are members of the Oriental Yacht club (?). Steve and Mary that used to be on a boat called Who Cares and Jeff and Rosalee that used to be on a cat called Raven but last I heard they had bought a Pacific seacraft. We had a blast at Whitaker Creek and with the liveaboards at the old Ramada marina. That's a beautiful area and it seems like a lot of boaters retire from boating life there.

FirstMateMary said...

I just ordered the book "An embarrassment of mangoes" which I found out about on Emily's profile and downloaded it to my Kindle. I'll be reading it tomorrow on the plane to Miami then a hop and a jump to Hope Town Abacos

Emily said...

Ooh, great, you'll love the book! Lovely recipes included within as well. We found it most inspiring. I am envious of your heading to Hopetown. It's right at the top of my most-want-to-cruise-to-and-hangout-in one day places. Is that where you boat is now?

FirstMateMary said...

We sailed into the Abacos 5 years ago and have never left. I know, I know we keep saying we're going to head further South. At least to Exuma. But this year we have a lot of work to do on the boat, new batteries, new slipcovers, refrig fixing, so I doubt we go far. We keep her down there on a mooring in Hope Town. We were down there during hurricanes Frances and Jeanne and she did fine. Hey Emily, Just a heads up, if you're looking for boat insurance we have a friend in N.C. who got us a great policy but you have to have a N.C. address.They will even pay to have certain parts (like our batteries) shipped.

Emily said...

Well, I am envious! Maybe we'll meet you down there eventually. :) As for the insurance thing, we're happy with BoatUS for now and just paid for another year, so this wouldn't be the time to switch.