Friday, May 22, 2009

Agur's Wish Homesick Blues





It is snowing here in Colorado tonight and I am thinking I should be in Abaco. I should be swaying on the hook on Agur’s Wish in Hope Town Harbour tonight. Not just because it’s warm there and it sure as heck isn‘t warm here tonight.. No, I should be spending the last few of Agur’s Wish’s nights in Abaco with her, she might need me. She’ll be leaving the place she has called home for more than five years in a few days and I’ve been there, and I’ve done that.

I know she’s going to miss that gorgeous gin clear water.

I know she’s going to miss the sound of laughter in her cockpit.

I know she’s going to miss her friends at the dock.

I know she’ll miss friends stopping by just to say “Hi”

I know she’ll miss seeing old friends come into the harbour.

I know she’ll miss seeing new friends come into the harbour.

I wonder if she’ll miss that grass skirt we let her wear.

I know she’ll miss the hum of a lone predawn fishing boat cutting across the harbour heading to the sea.

I know she’ll miss the hues of morning racing each other across the sky.

I know she’ll miss the voice of the island as it goes about it’s work day.

I know she’ll miss the peal of church bells at the noon hour.

I know she’ll miss watching the colors chase the sun into the water at sunset.

I know she’ll miss the evening’s song and laughter.

I know she’ll miss the quick fall of dark.

I know she’s going to miss that shining beacon flashing through the night.

I know she’ll miss a sky so full of stars you can’t make out the black of night.

I know she’ll miss the bump of the turtle’s shell and the slap of the stingray’s wing as they glide beneath her.

I know she’ll miss the gleeful play of dolphins all around her.

I know she’ll miss that perfume of salt, sand, beauty, strength, grace and abundant joy.

Man, is she ever going to miss all those smiles.

I know she’ll miss the watchful eyes that looked over her when we couldn’t.

I wonder if she misses us and worries about how we’re doing.

I know she’s weeping tonight.

Fair Winds and Calm Seas, Agur‘s Wish,

I’ll see you in Annapolis.

P.S. Once again, I wish I made this stuff up. This ain’t a fairy tale, it really is out there, go out and live it. So why are we giving this up? My first response tonight? “Beats the hell out of me!“ Second response…Who says we are? Just a new chapter for both us and Agur’s Wish. As the cap’n will tell you, I reread my favorite books over and over and over again. And you know what? She is still ours. I hope I’m just adding more characters.

5 comments:

Teresa said...

Oh Mary, you sound so.....sad! You are embarking on a new chapter in your life and hopefully it will be just as wonderful and fulfilling as the last one has been. I am getting ready to post some new pix on my blog, so check it out soon, you have a lot of friends here too. And a new life to look forward to!

FirstMateMary said...

I know, I know Teresa. I was going to add that but it didn't go along with the morose tone of the blog. Jeff's brother that has a place in Playa called the other day and said his property manager called and asked, "Did your brother buy a place in Chelem?" Seems she heard about us from Robert and Patrick. Our notoriety follows us. OMG it's beer Friday at the Bullpen. Wish we were there.

Anonymous said...

Mary,
You sound so sad! For what it is worth you and Jeff are welcome on our boat anyday to help us break it in :)You might find you like Put-in-bay and buy a house there! LOL

Mike in Ohio
And sailing again!

FirstMateMary said...

Hey Mike, I was wondering if you'd been out on your boat. We are on the roadtrip to clean 12 yrs of stuff off the boat and I'm sure that's going to be sad at times. I just hope i can find the damn bell I stowed for the 2004 hurricanes and haven't been able to find. How's it going on your boat?

Far Niente said...

I can somewhat relate to what your feeling. We pulled Far Niente and put her on the hard for the first time in almost five years. We visit her in the yard and she looks so sad.