Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Whatever You Want To Put In It Pop-overs

I took these over to sundowners on JilliQ the other night and was told that I have to put the recipe in my blog and in return Jill will add her made-in-the-pie-plate pie crust recipe. Jill, you are within dinghy distance now and I can come over and wring it out of you. Actually, the pop-overs start with a basic cream cheese pastry that is very easy to work with and you can do anything you want with it. First the pastry recipe (Not for the lite-hearted diet types)

Cream Cheese Pastry

1 8oz. pkg of softened cream cheese
1 cup of softened butter
2 cups of flour
1/2 tsp salt

1. In large bowl cream together cream cheese and butter

2. Slowly add in sifted together flour and salt.

3. Shape into two balls, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.

4. Roll out to desired thickness (1/4 inch or so for me) cut with desired size of round cutter (I use a Guana Grabbers cup which is about 3 inches diameter).

5. Fill pastry round with about a tablespoon of filling (sample fillings down below) if your using the Grabber cup, fold over and seal edges. Crimp sealed edges with a fork.

6. Place pop-overs on greased cookie sheet and bake at 400F until nice and golden brown. In my oven you never can tell how long this is going to take and I'm still usually crouched down next to the oven beast with flashlight in hand 15 minutes after happy hour has started. I also usually have to turn them over to brown them on both sides. So do them the day before and reheat.

Fillings I have used:

Italian:

Slosh some olive oil in a frying pan and heat, drink a glass of red wine, add a brick of cream cheese, drink a glass of red wine, add chopped onion, green pepper, pepperoni,mushrooms, or whatever you have, and drink a glass of red wine. Heat until the mixture and you are toasted and bubbly.

Mexican:
Same as above except use hamburger and Sangria.

*This pastry also makes a delicious quiche pastry. I have used it for mini-quiches by lining regular sized muffin pans with the pastry dough and filling with an egg mixture of eggs (duh), heavy cream (or whatever dairy product you have onboard), scallions, shrimp, asparagus, and swiss cheese. Just bake until pastry is brown and egg mixture is set. Yummy! And can be frozen and reheated later.

Bon Apetite! Slosh! Slosh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK Mary - You have shamed me into contributing :) The popovers were wonderful....I know I'm coming out on the good end of this recipe trade!
I adapted this recipe from one that appeared in the Penzey's spices catalog some time ago:
For a 9" crust:
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup canola oil
3 Tbsp milk
Mix all ingredients right in the pie plate, press into place. Bake unfilled 3 mins @ 400F. Remove from oven, prick the crust, return to oven unfilled 5 more mins.
Then, add your filling and bake till done. It makes a pretty robust crust, not a delicate flaky one, but personally the crust is my favorite part of pie. This is the crust I use for quiche (since I didn't have a delicious cream-cheese pastry recipe til now), and for that I use the following for the filling:
3 eggs
1.25 c evaporated skim milk
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp dry mustard
Whatever flavorings you like (cheese, bacon bits, etc)
Put the flavorings into the pre-baked crust. In a bowl combine the eggs, milk, flour and mustard powder. Pour the egg mixture over the flavorings in the crust, bake 50 mins, stand 10 mins before serving.

Voila
Love your blog...keep writing!

FirstMateMary said...

Thanks, Jill! I can't wiat to try it. My mother always made the most perfect pie crust and of course she never measured anything, so I've never been able to replicate it.