Thursday, October 23, 2008

Potluck: Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe

I'm sitting here way up in the Rockies, the temp is dropping, the wind is picking up, and there's white stuff on the ground. I'm ready for something hot but since I still have 27 days to go before I'm back on the boat in the Bahamas I guess I'll have to settle for soup. I fixed this for potluck one night when we were all waiting out a storm at the Alligator River Marina in NC. This is easy to do on the boat because all the ingredients for the basic recipe are usually on the boat or you can substitute like items, plus it's one pot, and you can have it ready and just heat it up when everybody's ready to eat. Darnell, here's a recipe like you asked for and I hope others will add more.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
2lb of cooked chicken cut up into bite size pieces, or 2 cans of chicken breast meat
2-3 cans of chicken broth
1 can of Rotel tomatoes
1 can of chopped green chiles or jalepenos
1/2 medium onion diced
1/2 green pepper diced
4-8 oz of cream cheese (I use cream cheese in place of Sour cream on the boat because it keeps better)
1 can of corn (optional)
1/4 cup of uncooked rice (optional)
Cilantro chopped (add right before serving or use it as an optional topping if you or your guests don't like cilantro

Toppings

Tortilla chips (put 'em on the bottom or top, whatever your preference
Cheese
jalapenos
avocados
Guacamole
Sour Cream
salsa

Just throw all the ingredients in a large stock pot and let simmer all day or if you don't have all day just heat until cream cheese is melted and rice is done if you added it. Add cilantro right before serving. Top soup with whatever you like and enjoy.

2 comments:

Agepe said...

Hi... nice blog. Greetings from Indonesia

FirstMateMary said...

Welcome aboard. How did you find my blog? Just curious.