Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Sailing Into A Bigger World

I talked to a friend of mine yesterday who has just bought a house in Galveston. Just like me, she is from land-locked Kansas and is having to pay attention to hurricanes for the first time in her life. The tornadoes that are inherent to our landscape didn't allow us the priviledge or frustation of a week or more of guessing and second guessing. Maybe that is why I have little understanding of people that have ample warning and still choose to stay. That being said...I listened to reports of mandatory evacuations in Cuba this morning and wondered, "Where will they go?" I've looked at pictures of the continuous devastation of Haiti and wonder why these people are allowed to suffer the way they do and I knew that my friend Bill on s/v Blue Rondoe was probably headed down there to help. While watching as the storm turned away from the northern Bahamas and our boat, I read the reports from Inagua and wondered which of my friends' family members have been affected. Our boat has exposed me to a larger world and caused me to invest in its people. It's risky, but worth it. So, if after watching these storms, you're thinking that owning a boat is just not worth it, think again. Let's continue to offer prayers and crossed fingers for our family and friends in the Gulf.

No comments: